The Dubai Duty Free Irish Open, hosted by Rory McIlroy in Portstewart Golf Club from 4th – 9th July, is bringing golf home to Northern Ireland once again.
Portstewart, Portrush and the wider Causeway Coastal Route is ready and waiting for your visit, whether that’s to enjoy the golf or be part of the Midsummer Sessions Festival, or to soak up the amazing atmosphere.
What can you expect:
- The world’s best golfers – including Justin Rose, Hideki Matsuyama, Jon Rahm, Shane Lowry and Rafa Cabrera Bello
- Ryder Cup stars Thomas Pieters and Ian Poulter will join the field, along with fan favourite Andrew ‘Beef’ Johnston.
- ‘Family Tuesday’ (July 4) offers a particularly great day out for families to go and see their golf heroes up close and enjoy the many family activities.
- Local indie rock stars Two Door Cinema Club will play a special homecoming performance at the event’s opening ceremony on Wednesday July 5.
- English pop-rock stars Scouting For Girls will perform at the closing ceremony on Sunday July 9.
- Over 20 of Northern Ireland’s finest musicians will also be performing live, for free during the Midsummer Sessions Festival
Midsummer Sessions Festival, Portstewart
Thursday 6th July
- 4pm, Sam Wickens, The Paper Fig
- 7pm, Chris Keyes, Manina Restaurant
- 9pm, Callum Stewart & band, Harry’s Shack
- 11pm, Tony Villiers & the Villains, The Anchor Complex
Friday 7th July
- 4pm, Son of the Hound, Warke’s Deli
- 7pm, Beauty Sleep, Shenanigans
- 9pm, Larks, Harry’s Shack
- 11pm, Cup O Joe with Eilidh Patterson, The Anchor Complex
Saturday 8th July
- 4pm, Peter J McCauley, The Three Kings
- 5pm, Matt McGinn, Roughan’s Ice-Cream & Coffee Shop
- 6pm, Gerry Norman, New York Inn
- 7pm, Verse Chorus Verse, Manina Restaurant
- 8pm Brand New Friend, Shenanigans
- 9.30pm Mandy & Graham Bingham, Cromore Halt
Sunday 9th July
- 4pm, Emer Maguire, Warke’s Deli
- 5pm, Rory Nellis, Manina Restaurant
- 6.30pm, Joshua Burnside, Harry’s Shack
- 7.30pm, No Oil Paintings, The Anchor Complex
Full details on www.atlanticsessions.com/midsummer
Somewhere to stay
- Maddybenny, Portrush – offering B&B, self-catering accommodation, and even caravans, this centre is situated between Portrush and Portstewart. The family-run, former farm offers the best of country living with riding stables on site. Visit www.maddybenny.com
- The Bushtown Hotel, Coleraine – Just 15 minutes from Portstewart. For the non-golfers, there’s a fitness suite, swimming pool and sauna to enjoy. Dubai Duty Free Irish Open offer is £57.50 per person per night. Visit www.bushtownhotel.com
- The Links Penthouse, Portrush – overlooking Royal Portrush Golf Club, this four-bedroom, fully equipped apartment sleeps six and is within walking distance to beautiful beaches and top restaurants such as the Ramore. £86 per night for a two-week stay. Visit www.links-penthouse-portrush.co.uk
- Waterfoot Hotel, Derry/Londonderry City – a stylish boutique hotel in the City, tucked just at the edge of the historic Banks of the River Foyle. Drive along the scenic coast for under an hour to get involved in the golfing action in Portstewart. Prices from £85 per person. Visit www.waterfoothotel.com
- The Premier Inn, Coleraine has eight family rooms to sleep four as part of its 49 ensuite room offering. Enjoy family-friendly amenities such as The Jet Centre with Alley Cats Indoor Adventure Play centre and the Moviehouse Cinema. Rooms from £90 (Wednesday & Thursday) and £132 (Friday & Saturday). Visit www.premierinn.com
- Beulah Guest House, Portrush – this mother and daughter run guest house offers a welcoming traditional bed and breakfast service in its nine ensuite rooms and is within easy walking distance to all amenities. £140 per room per night. Visit www.beulahguesthouse.com
- The Marine Hotel, Ballycastle – it’s a comfortable and central base to explore the Causeway Coastal route area. With its harbour view looking out towards Rathlin Island, the Giant’s Causeway and Carrick-a-Rede Rope Bridge are nearby. Ensuite rooms start from £160 per night for two people. Visit www.marinehotelballycastle.com
- Heathmount Hall, Portstewart – a three-bed ground floor luxury apartment which sleeps six and is suitable for people with limited mobility. The beautiful apartment is available to rent for the week at £825. Visit www.discovernorthernireland.com/1-Heathmount-House-Portstewart-P27077
- Atlantic Lookout, Portrush – this three bed home offers stunning views of the Atlantic Ocean from its top floor deck. Sleeping six, it’s cosy inside and out, with a log-burning fire and BBQ area. Approximately £113 per night, with a minimum week stay. Visit www.atlanticlookout.com
- Ocean Drive, Portstewart – within five minutes’ walk of The Strand, one of the Causeway Coast’s finest beaches this four bed house provides a real ‘home from home’ for visitors and boasts a pool table room. Approximately £125 per night when booking for a week. Visit www.discovernorthernireland.com/Ocean-Drive-Portstewart-P21227/
To plan your short break visit www.discovernorthernireland.com
Somewhere for Tee time
- Cromore Halt Inn and Restaurant, Portstewart – This cosy Portstewart gem offers a relaxing atmosphere, roaring fire and extensive menu. The Chef’s ‘special’ is always particularly recommended, especially on a Sunday for £10.95 with all the trimmings. It caters for all with vegetarian meals, gluten free dishes and a children’s menu, along with accessible free parking. To book by phone call (028) 7083 6888.
- Ramore – The Harbour Bistro, Portrush – The Ramore group of restaurants are a hit amongst locals and visitors alike with stunning views of the coast, offering highly renowned dishes and drinks for all tastes. The bistro is a family favourite with a fun atmosphere, a children’s menu and highchairs available. To book call (028) 7082 2430 or visit www.ramorerestaurant.com
- Ocho Tapas Bistro, Portrush – What’s not to love about tapas, particularly from couple Sean and Trudy Brolly who have brought their love of Spanish food and wine to our shores. Three tapas on the Early Bird menu costs £10.95 and the kids’ menu costs £5.95. To book by phone or online, ring 028 70824110 or visit www.ochotapas.com
- Bushmills Inn, Bushmills – The restaurant at this four-star hotel has long drawn visitors from home or abroad to its doors and being close to the famous Bushmills Distillery, it’s a perfect place to unwind after a visit to the whiskey maker. A signature dish is the Dalriada cullen skink fish soup. Ring 028 2073000 to book or visit www.bushmillsinn.com
Tickets for the Irish Open
Tickets for the Dubai Duty Free Irish Open hosted by the Rory Foundation are on sale at www.dubaidutyfreeirishopen.com, and begin at £15 for ‘Family Tuesday’ with free entry for children under the age of 16 (limited to three children per adult).
Pro-Am Wednesday tickets, including opening ceremony concert, cost just £20, with tickets for Thursday and Friday costing £40 and day tickets for the weekend costing £45.
An adult season souvenir ticket, which covers six days of world class golf from Wednesday to Sunday, costs just £100 (a saving of £105 over the course of the six days)z
Concessions are available for customers aged over 60 and between 16 and 21, while children under 16 are permitted free entry when accompanied by a ticket holding adult.
To get a full seated view of all of the drama at the 18th green, grandstand tickets cost an additional £11.50 for Thursday and Friday, £16.50 for Saturday and £21.50 for Sunday.
Official Hospitality packages are also available on the ticketing page, or alternatively contact the European Tour’s dedicated Hospitality Sales Team, who will be happy to answer any queries and discuss the various hospitality options, on firstname.lastname@example.org or +44 (0) 1344 840681.