Lidl has much cause for celebration this week, as it toasts 15 years of business in Northern Ireland.
Since opening its doors in Cookstown in 1999, the supermarket has really made its mark on Northern Ireland boasting 36 stores (and counting!) in key cities and towns across the province and working with over 35 local suppliers.
To mark its 15 years, Lidl has shared 15 surprise facts about Northern Ireland shoppers, the top five include:
1. Northern Ireland prefers coffee to tea – Lidl has recorded sales of over quarter of a million units of coffee since 2013.
2. Custard Creams are Northern Ireland’s favourite biscuit.
3. Jam filled doughnuts from Lidl’s in-store bakery have sold more units than 9,000 other items since the start of 2013 – including popular non-food and promotional ranges!
4. Northern Ireland is a nation of dog lovers – dog food outsells cat food by 250%.
5. Lidl has sold more than twice as many bananas compared to any other fruit or vegetable item.
We’ve had some dealings with Lidl over the years from trying out their very successful fragrances, to popping champagne to celebrate a New Year. Now with their birthday celebrations in full swing we’ll be helping them celebrate with the bottle of champagne they generously sent us this week!
Make sure you join in Lidl’s birthday celebration by visiting the Lidl Northern Ireland Facebook, Facebook.com/LidlNI where each day for 15 days there will be a host of prizes to be won including top hotel stays, shopping vouchers, family day trips and much more.