I would love to be able to sing, well in somewhere other the shower so I’m in awe of people who are able to hold a note. I was asked along to review the vocal prowess of established Mariah Carey Tribute Jass Meagher, and I must confess that I’m not usually a fan of tribute acts, but by a few notes in I was pleasantly surprised. Hosted in Belfast’s Caberet Club, which is a great venue for this type of act, this show has everything from ballads to upbeat R&B hits that show off the versatility of Jass’s vocal range.
A tribute act can be tricky, especially if the voice isn’t there, but Jass not only has an amazing voice, but also a great stage presence and a show wardrobe definitely suitable for a diva! Bringing the audience on a dazzling journey through the great classics such as Hero, Always Be My Baby and Dreamlover she had us all eating out of her well manicured pretty hand.
Growing up, Jass was apparently nicknamed “Little Mariah” and she spent years singing, studying and performing the songs of her idol. The hard work paid off as she has become a very believable sound-alike and impersonator. Her chat in-between songs is great and very Mariah-esq which helps get the audience going. There were lots of couples and big groups so it would be the perfect evening to bring your girlfriends, have some bubbles and get up for a boogie.
In the spirit of Mariah and for a bit of weekend fun – I thought I would share a few of my favourite diva moments from the lady herself…..
- She’s been known to have 11 bodyguards surround her restaurant table so diners can’t see her eat.
- Having stayed out until 3am at celebrity restaurant San Lorenzo, in Knightsbridge, Mariah cancelled an interview on London’s Capital Radio Breakfast Show because “she’s not a morning person”.
- She insisted on having a £10,000 gym installed next to her penthouse suite at Claridge’s. It was also rumoured she was bringing 100 pairs of shoes with her on the trip.
- I can’t wear flat shoes,” she sighs. “My feet repel them.”
- She once arrived 90 minutes late for the Capital Radio awards because she had broken a fingernail.
I’m not going to lie, I can identify with the shoes thing and the broken fingernail, so maybe there are more similarities between me and Mariah than I thought. Looks like I’ll be taking the diva demands and leaving the great voice to Jass!
Find out where Jass is playing next @Mariah_Tribute or on Facebook
Spotting local hidden gems from the world of beauty, health, fashion, tourism and hospitality. I have my ear to the ground (quite literally) to keep you up to date about the new or interesting products and services from our neck of the woods. If you know one – get in touch on twitter @grainnemcgarvey or at www.pulseprni.com