DOWN ROYAL FESTIVAL OF RACING
Friday 3rd & Saturday 4th November 2017
The Down Royal Festival of Racing takes place this weekend on Friday 3rd & Saturday 4th November which will see the National Hunt Horse Racing descend upon the Co. Down race track.
Here’s 6 ½ things you can expect from Down Royal Racecourse this weekend.
· Over 8,000 pints of beer will be served over the two days and 2,000 bottles of wine.
· The WKD Hurdle (Grade 2), the richest hurdle race staged in Northern Ireland takes place on Friday 3rd November. Last year it was won by Rashaan who returned to win the Mount Charles Hurdle at Down Royal in June 2017.
· There will be 638 members of staff employed by Down Royal on a major race day.
· The Victoria Square Best Dressed Lady Competition on Saturday 4th November is a celebration of true racing style with one lucky winner jetting off to Rio De Janeiro for ten days in a 4* hotel on Copacabana Beach including visits to Christ the Redeemer & Sugarloaf Mountain.
· There’s a mammoth prize fund of €462,000 up for grabs on the track with an expected 1.5 million people tuning in to watch the racetrack action.
· The JNWine.com Champion Chase, created in 1999, takes place on Saturday. It’s the first Grade 1 race of the National Hunt Season in the British Isles. Previous winners include Kauto Star, Beef or Salmon, The Listener, Looks Like Trouble, Florida Pearl and Don Cossack.
· A tonne of butter and a half tonne of Co. Armagh spuds will be dished up to hungry punters.
Gates open from 11am on Friday 3rd and Saturday 4th November with the first race starting at 12.45pm (approx.) Admission is £12 Friday and £15 Saturday, children under 16 get free admission and there is free car parking for everyone attending. Hospitality packages start from £60 per person.
£25 Punters Packs are available on Friday 3rd November and include –Admission, race card, a bottle of WKD, pulled pork roll, £5 matched bet with Sean Graham or Pat O’Hare, access to the Paddock Marquee private bar.