6 1/2 things we love about the refurbished Northern Whig
It’s back, our randomly titled 6 1/2 things we love foodie feature. This time we visited the newly refurbished Northern Whig and what an impression it’s left on us.
Here’s the list:
1. What an amazing refurb! This is one seriously impressive looking bar/restaurant now. With a central bar and lots of nooks and crannies, The Whig is a little treasure trove of very current decor mixed with a traditional pub. I love the awesome chandeliers, the filament lighting, the leather chairs, the bookcases, the central bar, the brick work, all impressive stuff.
2. Right in the centre of the Cathedral Quarter the Northern Whig is perfectly placed to be part of your newly extended pub crawl of the area. Where you might enjoy cocktails in the Merchant, rum in the Spaniard, outdoor buzz at the Duke of York, and great craic in the Northern Whig.
3. The food is good old pub grub. It’s not trying to be anything fancy and sticks with a good value and tasty selection of grub including ribeye steak, ribeye burger, battered haddock, steak sandwich, smoked chicken risotto for mains and followed by desserts of Ice Cream Trio, Lemon and Raspberry Tart, Rhubarb Crumble and more.
4. Hot on trend for the local customer, the Gin menu is a mixture of the traditional and new cool gins including local champion Shortcross. It’s a bit different in that with the menu you pick your chin, pick your FEVER-TREE, pick your garnish and order, drink and repeat!
5. Perfect for the driver of the group, which is usually me, they have a mocktail menu. Check out the mocha martini or the Apple Mojito, and at £3.50 they are as cheap as chips.
6. And for the drinkers who love a cocktail, we love the locally themed Cathedral Cocktails menu with a huge nod to the local area and it’s old Belfast history. It was after all, in the Cathedral Quarter, that life in Belfast began to thrive.
And finally for lovers of a bit of history and map reading, check out the map of old Belfast on the menu. Fascinating.
The new and beautifully classy Northern Whig is worth a visit.