DiscoverNorthernIreland.com has stacks of fun things to do across NI, from family days out to gigs and cultural events. Here are 10 exciting things taking place this week (25-31 December)
1. Winter Skate 2017/2018, Belfast, 29 December 2017– 6 January 2018. This Christmas you can skate at the home of The Stena Line Belfast Giants. Enjoy skating on the ice rink at SSE Arena on a range of selected dates in December 2017 and January 2018.
2. Boxing Day Races, Lisburn, 26 December. The Boxing Day Races at Down Royal Racecourse are a Christmas tradition. This long established event, held at Ireland’s oldest race course, guarantees to blow away those cobwebs after a day of excess. Popular with families, everyone is welcome. Gates open at 11am with the first race starting at 12.30pm.
3. New Year’s Eve at Titanic, Belfast, 31 December. Join Titanic Belfast this New Year’s Eve to celebrate in style. Enjoy a fabulous cocktail on arrival and a light supper before dancing the night away in front of the stunning Titanic staircase. To book tickets visit TitanicBelfast.com.
4. The High Kings – Decade Tour, Enniskillen, 29 December. ’Folk and Roll’, multi-platinum artists ‘The High Kings’ showcase their incredible versatility, bringing a great acoustic flavour to original songs as well as some old favourites at the Ardhowen theatre. Together they play thirteen instruments during their performances and their singing is especially noted for its close harmonies.
5. New Year’s Eve Black Tie Gala Ball, Belfast, 31 December. The traditional splendour of the luxurious Europa hotel is the backdrop for this black-tie gala ball. This amazing evening unravels with a stylish champagne and canape reception, followed by a sumptuous five-course dinner, while live music from Dave Martin and the Casino Cats will have you up on your feet and dancing the night away. The host for the evening is U105’s DJ Johnny Hero with Santa’s Divas, plus there will be a piper at midnight to herald in the New Year.
6. 2017 Winter Gathering – Causeway Coast Foodie Tours, Coleraine, 22-30 December. 2017 Winter Gathering is an informal boat trip on the beautiful River Bann offering a relaxed and informative afternoon of whiskey sampling, food tasting and a light sprinkling of stunning scenery and wildlife on the Bann Estuary. A marvellous opportunity to appreciate this historic town from a different perspective at this most wonderful time of the year. Meeting at Waterside Pontoon, Coleraine.
7. Abba Tribute Show, Newcastle, 27 December. The Björn Identity are now one of the finest and most authentic tributes to ABBA in the UK; re-creating ABBA in concert experience like no other. Boasting live musicians and singers with West End, European & International tours behind them they really know how to bring the Abba experience to the Slieve Donard Resort and Spa. Enjoy this wonderful band as they rock the night away with all your Abba favourites.
8. Jack and the Beanstalk, Derry~ Londonderry, 1 – 31 December. Telling the story of peasant boy Jack and his attempts to please his impoverished mother and win the hand of Princess Jill, Jack and the Beanstalk remains one of the best-loved pantomimes of all time. Packed with great song and dance routines, hilarious comedy, dazzling scenes and magical special effects is this spectacular show at the Millennium Forum, starring William Caulfield as Dame Trot.
9. Jake O’Kane – Still Sittin’ On The Fence, Ballycastle, 28 December. Jake O’Kane, one of Northern Ireland’s top comics and star of the BBC panel show ‘The Blame Game’, is back with a brand new show coming to the Marine Hotel. In his traditional end-of-year review show, Jake will be casting a satirical eye over the preceding twelve months, combining stories and pictures from the Irish News with the madness of the Internet to debunk the great, the not so great, and himself.
10. The Fureys, Lisburn, 28 December. Legends of Irish music and song The Fureys return to Lagan Valley Island for a fantastic night’s entertainment. They will be performing all of their hits, including ‘I Will Love You’, ‘Sweet 16’, ‘Leaving Nancy’ and many more. To book tickets visit LaganValleyIsland.co.uk.
For more information on these events or to plan a short break in Northern Ireland, visit www.DiscoverNorthernIreland.com.