DiscoverNorthernIreland.com has found stacks of fun things to do across NI, from family days out to gigs and cultural events. Here are 10 exciting things taking place this week (June 19-25).
1. Music City, Derry~Londonderry, 21-27 June. The city becomes one giant performance space with music of all genres in the streets, squares, venues, churches and communities. Derry’s choral tradition is showcased throughout the festival on the main outdoor stages while the historic Walls will feature performances from pipe bands, flute bands and trad musicians. Most events are free of charge and family friendly.
2. Super Milk Wild Air Run, Stormont Estate, 24 June. A 5K family running event with a difference – ten huge inflatables! Suitable for adults and children over 7, and all fitness levels. Join more than 20,000 people and have extreme fun.
3. Royal Irish Fusiliers Museum exhibition – 1917 Misery and Mud, Armagh, until 30 June. The fourth year of the Great War saw the Third Battle of Ypres, commonly known as The Battle of Passchendaele. It would become infamous. The Royal Irish Fusiliers spent 1917 on all fronts. A more fluid war was underway in the Region of The Levant and the glorious capture of Jerusalem was the aim.
4. Barry Kirwan at the Silverbirch, Omagh, 23 June. Having been nominated ‘Newcomer of the Year’ at the 2016 RTE Irish Country Music Awards, Barry Kirwan is set to take the Irish country scene by storm. Jive, dine and accommodation offers available from the hotel.
5. Minibeast & Moth Hunt, Fermanagh, 24 June. Hunt for unseen wildlife in habitats throughout the Marble Arch National Nature Reserve. Learn about mini-beasts’ fascinating lifestyles and get up close to some of the moth species found in the woodland. Children must be accompanied by an adult, booking essential – contact Marble Arch Caves on 028 66 348855.
6. Mourne International Walking Festival, Warrenpoint, 23-25 June. Stunning routes in the Mourne Mountains and Ring of Gullion for walkers of all levels of fitness, between 10k and 40k at both high and low level.
7. Rhythm of the Bann, Coleraine, 24 June. An evening featuring a wide variety of Celtic influenced, contemporary and traditional musical performances in the historic Market Yard, with artists from Isle of Skye and Spain joining local musicians and dancers in an outdoor concert, hosted by Tim McGarry and Dr David Hume.
8. Midsummer Evening Concerts at Mussenden Temple, Castlerock, 23-24 June. A number of instrumentalists from the Ulster Orchestra will present a programme of music on summer melody themes, followed by a light supper. Booking essential on 028 20 768798.
9. MCM Comic Con, Lisburn, 24-25 June. A pop-culture weekend extravaganza at the Eikon Exhibition Centre featuring everything from comics, movies, games and sci-fi to cosplay, anime, steampunk and online video.
10. Irish Game Fair & Fine Food Festival, Co. Antrim, 24-25 June. Fun for all the family at Shane’s Castle, from angling, archery and air rifles to falconry, fine food, ferrets and fun.
For more information on these events or to plan a short break in Northern Ireland, visit www.DiscoverNorthernIreland.com.