10 THINGS TO DO IN NORTHERN IRELAND NEXT WEEK
Tourism NI has put together a list of 10 exciting things to do in Northern Ireland next week (December 7-13).
• Charles Dickens Reading A Christmas Carol, Ards Arts Centre, Newtownards, Co. Down, December 9. During the last twelve years of his life, Dickens toured Britain and the USA reading his works professionally to his adoring public. The most popular of these readings was ‘A Christmas Carol’. In this almost totally candlelit performance, and looking uncannily like Dickens, Pip Utton recreates the famous author’s public readings using the script and directions that Dickens himself used. A wonderfully atmospheric start to the Christmas season. From 8pm.
• Frock Around The Clock – Magical Christmas Vintage Fair, Belfast Castle, Antrim Road, Belfast, December 13. Frock Around The Clock will be returning to the fairytale location of Belfast Castle for the last event of 2015. The fair features everything you need to complete your Christmas shopping in style, with 45 select stalls of vintage, handcrafted & upcycled fashion, homewares and collectables, jewellery, sweet treats, toys, gifts, Christmas decorations, artisan food & much more! From 12-5pm.
• Family Film Screening: Frozen Sing-a-long, Roe Valley Arts and Cultural Centre, Limavady, Co. Londonderry, December 12. ‘Let it Go’ with the sing-along version of Disney’s Frozen and join the fearless Anna on her epic journey to find her sister Elsa, whose icy powers have trapped the kingdom of Arendelle in eternal winter. There are two screenings at 12noon and 2pm, with pre-screening art workshops for children also available.
• The Carol Ship on Strangford Lough, Portaferry and Strangford, Co. Down, December 10-12. The decorated Strangford ferry will cross the Lough every fifteen minutes and music performed aboard by groups and choirs from a 30 mile radius will ring out across Strangford Lough. The wonderful night doesn’t stop there, with Christmas markets, music and storytelling on both sides of the lough.
• Santa’s Grotto, Burnavon Arts and Cultural Centre, Cookstown, Co. Tyrone, December 10-20. Enjoy a special visit to Santa’s Magical Workshop where there will be an opportunity to write and post a letter to Santa, meet Santa and receive a special gift and photo of your visit. Booking is essential as places are limited.
• Little Red Riding Hood, Market Place Theatre, Armagh, Co. Armagh, until December 20. Be prepared to howl with laughter as the 2015 Christmas pantomime, ‘Little Red Riding Hood’, arrives at Armagh’s Market Place Theatre. This magical, fun-filled adventure is presented by a fabulous cast of characters, and bursting with catchy songs, loads of audience participation and plenty of bite!
• Corrymeela Christmas Open Day Christmas Market, Corrymeela, Ballycastle, Co. Antrim, December 12. Everyone is welcome to join in the fun at Corrymeela’s Community Open Day, featuring a Christmas themed market. You will be amazed at the quality of the local produce and handcrafted goods on offer – come along and pick up that special Christmas gift. Corrymeela Community have also organised a full programme of events and activities, including a visit from Santa, on this fun day out for all the family.
• SHARE Santa Sundays, Share Discovery Village, Lisnaskea, Co. Fermanagh, December 13. Santa will be taking a break from his busy schedule stopping off at SHARE to spread some festive joy. Enjoy a nice family day out with a scrumptious 4 course meal and visit Santa for a present and to post your letter to the North Pole.
• Read To Me at Christmas, Linen Hall Library, Donegal Square North, Belfast, December 7. As part of Linen Hall Library’s “Read To Me” season, local writers including Jonathan Bardon, Ciaran Carson and Patricia Craig read from their choice of Christmas themed books, with seasonal refreshments provided. Begins at 6pm.
• The Santa Experience, Mount Stewart, Newtownards, Co. Down, December 10-13. Pay a visit to Father Christmas and add that extra bit of magic to the festive season for the little ones (and for the young at heart). Various timeslots available – check website for availability.
Please note some of the events require pre-booking. For more details on these and other events click on www.discovernorthernireland.com/events, visit your local tourist information centre or log onto www.facebook.com/discovernorthernireland.