Tourism NI has put together a list of 10 exciting things to do in Northern Ireland next week (May 9-15).
• International North West 200, various locations, Co. Antrim; Co. Londonderry, May 10-14. Every May, the beautiful Causeway Coast plays host to one of the most spectacular events in motorcycle racing. The International North West 200 attracts the finest line-up of road racers of any race on the planet, drawing thousands of visitors to the superfast 8.9 mile circuit that links the towns of Portrush, Portstewart and Coleraine. Hitting top speeds of over 200mph, racers like Michael Dunlop and John McGuinness thrill 85,000 fans during the week-long event of speed on roads that locals normally use to make their way to work. The North West 200 is a must see event for everyone, petrol heads and new recruits alike!
• Balmoral Show 2016, Balmoral Park, Lisburn, Co. Antrim, May 11-13. Visitors old and new will be welcomed to Balmoral Park for food, farming, family and fun at the 148th Balmoral Show. In these packed few days there will be competitions featuring top international show jumpers, a wide variety of the best livestock on show and over 500 trade stands. In keeping with the NI Year of Food and Drink, show goers will be able to see the food they have on their plate growing in the ground, bridging the gap between farm and fork where over 60 local food and drink companies will celebrate the best of local produce in the NI Food pavillion.
• Creative Hat Couture, Market Place Theatre, Armagh, Co. Armagh, May 14. Creative hat Couture allows participants to make their very own headpiece within a day! Whatever your level of expertise, you will enjoy working with an array of fabulous millinery materials and be sure to leave the course with a glamourous and bespoke head piece. If you have a wedding or special occasion to attend in the coming months, it is recommended that you bring along your outfit and any particular material or accessories you might like to work with. Entrance fee £30/£25 (materials included). Begins at 10am.
• Enniskillen Big Bat Walk, Lakeland Forum, Enniskillen, Co. Fermanagh, May 13. Have you ever wondered what a bat sounds like? Or wanted to learn more about what these nocturnal creatures are doing whilst you are asleep? Join Fermanagh and Omagh District Council to celebrate International Biodiversity Day and find out more. Places are limited and on a first come first served basis. All children must be accompanied by an adult and please bring a torch. Begins at 8.15pm.
• Thiel College Choir Concert, Belfast Cathedral, Belfast, May 11. Enjoy a free concert given by the Thiel College Choir, Greenville, Pennsylvania, USA on a first time visit to Belfast. Through the years the Thiel Choir has performed all over the United States and has embarked on nine European tours. The programme will include choral classics, spiritual and traditional folk songs from both sides of the Atlantic. Show begins at 12pm.
• The Curious Adventures of Pinocchio, Alley Theatre, Strabane, Co. Tyrone, May 12. Pinocchio leaps off the page and onto the stage in this unique retelling of the epic tale. Patrick Lynch from CBeebies pulls the strings and brings you the true story of Pinocchio and his adventures on his quest to find his father and become a real boy. Come and join him on this incredible journey. Show begins at 10am. Suitable for ages 4+.
• Taste of Florence Court, Florence Court, Enniskillen, Co. Fermanagh, May 14. Spend a day at Florence Court learning about cooking and growing your own produce. Join the gardener in the Walled Garden to hear tips on how to grow your own fruit and vegetables, and afterwards join chef John Roche as he cooks up some fresh produce from the soil for you to taste. From 12-4pm.
• North Down & Ards Pipe Band Championships, Castle Park, Bangor, Co. Down, May 14. The North Down & Ards Pipe Band Championships will return to Castle Park in Bangor which is sure to be a spectacular backdrop for this year’s event. With over 40 bands and 50 Drum Majors competing, the event promises to be a fantastic day out for all the family. From 12-5pm.
• Wicked Weddings, the Alternative Wedding Fayre, Derry, Co. Londonderry, May 14-15. Not your standard wedding fayre, this alternative wedding show is here to help turn those quirkiest of dreams into a reality all under one roof, with leading Irish, British & international wedding suppliers, designers, venues & much more.
• Film and Comic Con, Titanic Exhibition Centre, Titanic Quarter, Belfast, May 14-15. Celebrating all things film, TV and fantasy, Film & Comic Con is a must for fans of popular culture and a chance to see and meet some amazing guests, with numerous exhibitors and much more.
Please note some of the events require pre-booking. For more details on these and other events click on www.discovernorthernireland.com/events, visit your local tourist information centre or log onto www.facebook.com/discovernorthernireland.