Tourism NI has put together a list of 10 exciting things to do in Northern Ireland next week (August 17 – 23).
• EastSide Arts Festival, East Belfast, Belfast, August 19 – 31. East Belfast is getting ready for the hottest summer yet as the annual EastSide Arts Festival serves up a sizzling 12-day feast of events. Locations across East Belfast and beyond will help to unpack a festival picnic featuring 78 events including 33 FREE events across music, comedy, movies, theatre, workshops, exhibitions, poetry, tours, events for the young and old and community events.
• Woodstock Rhythm & Blues Festival, various locations in NI, August 12-19. The 8th annual Woodstock Rhythm & Blues Festival takes place from 12 – 19 August and features a fantastic line up of Rhythm and Blues acts. This year by popular demand we welcome back one of the great British soul and blues vocalists… the wonderful Chris Farlowe, whose two previous sell out concerts at the festival were truly spectacular. As always the calibre of music on offer is breathtaking with our usual mix of seasoned performers and rising stars of the blues scene.
• Seaside Country Music Showtime Concert, Newcastle Centre, Central Promenade, Newcastle, Co. Down, August 20. Sean Wallace presents Seaside Country Music Showtime with the stars in the Newcastle Centre on Thursday 20th August with a country line up like no other. Featuring Trudi Lalor, Farmer Dan, Cowboy Larry, Joe Moore plus the amazing Country Harmony. Doors Open at 7.00pm.
• A Story of Fire and Ice, Ti Chullain Centre, Bog Road, Mullaghbawn, Co. Armagh, August 18. Come and hear about the birth of Ireland’s most mysterious mountain, Slieve Gullion. Join Kirsten Lemon on an adventure through time as she shares the story of how Slieve Gullion and its surrounding ring of hills, formed and changed over the millennia to become the iconic landscape we know today. Start time 19:30. FREE but online booking is essential www.ringofgullion.org.
• 25th Kids Nature Trail, Castle Park Avenue, beside Bangor Town Hall, Bangor, Co. Down, August 19. Join this fascinating interactive nature trail led by Patrick Cregg from the Woodland Trust and bird expert Dot Blakely, who will teach you all about the natural habitat of the birds and animals who live in the picturesque grounds of Castle Park. Tour: 10.30am – 12.30pm. Free event and pre-booking essential.
• Carrowmena Monday Madness & Wicked Wednesdays, Carrowmena Activity Centre, Limavady, Co. Londonderry, until August 31. Enjoy a family day out of adrenaline, action and adventure at Carrowena this summer with fun activities such as climbing wall, zip line, archery and canoeing or kayaking.
• Share Inishcruiser Sailing, Share Discovery Village, Smiths Strand, Shanaghy, Lisnaskea, Co. Fermanagh, August 23 and 30. Soak up the beautiful surroundings of Lough Erne in the summer sun. Share’s Inishcruiser sets sail with a morning cruise at 10.30am and an afternoon cruise at 2.30pm.
• Causeway Coast Artists Craft Fair, Portballintrae Village Hall, Beach Road, Portballintrae, Co. Antrim, August 22. Come along to this very popular event where a variety of local artisan craft makers showcase the very best of their work. From 10.30am.
• Groomsport Live Music and Fireworks, Groomsport, Co. Down, August 22. Local TV and Radio presenter and broadcaster Ralph McLean compères this free and open to all event that will showcase a selection of great live music. There will then be a finale of stunning fireworks at 10pm to end the night in style.
• Summer Jazz Nights With Jazz Gazette, Alley Theatre, Strabane, Co. Tyrone, August 14, 28 and September 11.Enjoy the lovely summer nights filled with the sounds of rhythm and blues from renowned jazz musicians ‘Jazz Gazette’. Jazz Gazette will be joined by special guests and welcome anyone that would like to come and ‘jamm’ with them. From 8.30pm.
• A Taste of Titanic, Titanic Belfast, Queen’s Road, Belfast, August 21. Taste your way through the story of RMS Titanic with Titanic Belfast’s signature 2 hour food tasting tour, the ultimate combination of culture, history, food and fun! Go on a guided journey through the Titanic Galleries and learn about the fascinating story of the world’s most famous ship and sample culinary delights from the era. Tours will run at 6.30pm, 7.30pm or 8.30pm
Please note some of the events require pre-booking. For more details on these and other events click on www.discovernorthernireland.com/events, visit your local tourist information centre or log onto www.facebook.com/discovernorthernireland.